Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Answering Prayers

So apparently my first post was a "cliff-hanger" and i hate keeping people in suspense....so here is the next small chapter in my struggle to restore God's temple.

So about a week or so after my "challenge" prayer, I was shocked by a conversation that my husband initiated on the way home from my parents. Out of the blue, he said "If you think that gastric bypass is something that would help you get healthy, then I will support you 110%!" Hello?!? Am i hearing things correctly? earwax maybe? Seriously? Check 1 God!!!!! (Did I mention I did not share my prayers with anyone, including my husband!)

So the weeks went on and I decided to go see my GP about the surgery and get his opinion! He thought I was a perfect candidate and recommended a doctor to contact. (I don't need a referral...my dad and uncle had great surgeons, I'll just use one of those.) So I went home and started doing my research...online of course. My mom and dad called and asked what I was doing, I explained my research. So mom asked if I was going to have the surgery, I was still unsure what to say, so I told her I was researching, but was not even sure insurance would cover it, and if it did, I still could not afford the $2400 deductible. Her response..."well your dad and I have been talking (why are you talking about me?) and dad thinks you should have the surgery...it will give you a better quality of life and help you get healthy" ----"that's fine mom, but I probably cannot afford it. i would have to figure out a way to pay for it!" Mom, "well, your dad and I have been talking about that too ( ??did I mention I had not told anyone about this journey yet??) and if the only thing keeping you from having the surgery is money, then your dad and I will pay your deductible" what? "Mom I do not know when I will be able to pay you back" Mom- "I did not ask you to!"
OK check 2! Got chills yet? Or still skeptical that those were just coincidence?
So my dad asked who I was going to use if I have surgery, I told him probably his or uncles dr. He said "if you trust your dr to heal you when you sick, why do you not trust him to refer you to the surgeon you should use?" ---he was so right!
So I called the bariatric center and got all the paperwork filled out that is needed just to meet with the doctor. Surgery is a big deal! So we were approved by insurance in 3 weeks (that's fast) and we scheduled the consult. I went to see him in March....still not sure I could do this. When I met Dr. Sherrer, he seemed great, very attentive and understood my goals of a healthier me. He too thought I was a perfect candidate. As we were leaving his office, he grabbed the door and said something that almost made my knees buckle, "This is not a cure. I am just a vessel used by God to do His will" SHUT THE FRONT DOOR! What!!?! It was in that moment, that I had a complete peace for what I was about to do! Thank you Heavenly Father for providing me clear and indisputable answers to my prayers and concerns!

On April 17,2009, I had gastric bypass...and I would love to tell you that was the end of my journey, but It was truly only the beginning!

The picture is from my husbands graduation, May 19th. 1 month after surgery!

No comments: